Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Just some stuff on my mind

1) The proposed "Unauthorized Reproduction Bill" in Indiana: Sad, anti-GLBT, unkind (just plain Not Nice- to anyone who may be forced to go through that process- like the populations that are going to be most impacted (GLBT, single parents, and infertiles) aren't already feeling a little beat up on. Like going through infertility treatments, miscarriages, etc, isn't demeaning enough, like being judged by 'faulty' biological parts isn't enough, now they should be judged officially, ask for permission to reproduce...), unfair (truly, it treats a group of people differently based on a medical problem, marital status, etc.). The whole thing makes me sick.

2) The show "Inconceivable" has been 'yanked' by NBC. No word on if it has been officially canceled, but it has been replaced with a Law and Order rerun for this coming week. I did watch the first episode, but I didn't really like it. It just wasn't good. I didn't think it was accurate, and I don't go for that kind of show, and it wasn't fun to see things I've experienced be distorted for entertainment... It was, IMO, meant to be entertainment, not a educational show, so I'll let them by to some degree. But, why show something unrealistic when you can just as easily do it justice and not harm the story? I don't think of it as a show that is meant to represent anything close to reality, just another fresh backdrop for Hollywood to present ever-stranger mini-melodramas. There is just nothing interesting to me about the sleeping around, the scandals, etc. It just isn't 'good tv' to me. At the same time, I do respect their right to produce anything they want, and if they can find viewers that do not agree with me, more power to them. It does bother me that they will be delivering misrepresentations of infertility/ART clinicians/etc., but since when has HW been interested in representing reality? That is, in some cases more than others, pretty unfortunate, but I think it is even more unfortunate that we Americans are so bloody ready to swallow anything that comes to us through our televisions. The show is fiction, it takes liberties with reality, it needs something edgeier, more scandalous, whatever, but what is really sad is that some people get their facts from Hollywood. Bottom line: I'm not going to miss it. I do wish there was better information out there about infertility, but it is unrealistic to think that HW is going to be providing it. Infertility certainly isn't the first topic to be mangled by HW. But since the show didn't seem to make a great impression, it doesn't seem that we're going to have to worry long about it spreading the wrong message... But, just in case it is just being revamped and you want to get your 2 cents in, INCIID is hosting a chat with the creator tonight.

Umm, not much else. I haven't had much to say lately. I'm just not feeling very conflicted, and I tend to only want to write when I feel conflicted. Some recent examples on my unconflicted state:

1) I realized today that I have been under new insurance for 2 months, and while the first thing I did was check to see if my BCP's were covered, it wasn't until this morning when I read the story on Indiana that it occurred to me to wonder what my new insurance carrier covers for infertility. I still don't know, I didn't wonder enough to actually go check.
2) My SIL is using a name that is eerily similar to a name I had planned to use for a daughter- so close that I do not think it would be cool for first cousins who live 4 miles from each other to have those names. Now, for the unconflicted part: not only does it not bother me, I didn't even realize it for over a week. I am just not thinking about my hypothetical children all that often (I am a terrible hypothetical mom.)
3) I gave away the very blanket that I crocheted with my own 2 hands for our actual child that never made it to the 2nd trimester. That's right- just handed it over to someone who has an actual baby. In the past I have given many crocheted blankets to new mothers, but I kept that one in a box in the closet. But I guess the time was right, because it didn't make me sad to see it or to hand it over.

I guess that is about it.

I started this blog to talk about the transition to childfree from infertile, and I guess I'll still talk about that some, but there isn't much meat left on the bone. Since we're not trying and not conflicted, it is sort of 'ho-hum...' But I think my next post will have to do with childfree-ness and how hard I find it to explain our childfree-ness. Right now I am much more conflicted about who I am in society as a CFer than I am about not having children.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading about what's it's like being childfree. As a person struggling with infertility, being childfree is something I've thought about, but am not sure I could do.

:)

ps: you might want to add Blogger's security thingy to your comments section, as I had about 15 items of spam from my old blog in the course of one day until I added security in.

October 08, 2005 3:44 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Sounds like you are in a good place, and there ain't nothing wrong with that. Sadly, I hardly ever have to explain being CF, I guess we are getting to that age where people either assume we married too late, we don't want kids, or we have grown children. Ugh.

October 09, 2005 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home