Monday, March 06, 2006

Updates...

So, a while back I posted about trying to stop my obsessive multitasking ways, and I must say, I haven't been entirely multitasking-free...

But today I stumbled across this and it confirms that multitasking is not the way to go- it eats up my time, it compromises my work, and it screws with my head. So, once again, I am going to try to quit... Except I really want to continue listening to music while I work. And while I exercise. But I need to learn to have some quiet meditation time with no music, no distractions. The perfect me, the one who lives in my head, is really good at this, but the real me just puts it off, day after day...

Hmmmmm, the niece thing is going fine. And, as a bonus, it has proven to us both that we're on the right track. We just don't want kids. We used to want kids, we didn't have kids, things happened, and we completely changed our minds. We are in talks regarding permanent birth control options... Except for a brief flirtation with condoms, I have done all of the birth controlling since day one, and I'm looking forward to some other options. Not that it is difficult to take one more pill a day than I would anyway, but I am a little uncomfortable with the possible long-term health consequences. Discussing the birth control options with a group of friends, all of whom are mom's, was a little weird: one said sweetly "Well, you have plenty of time to decide since you don't have kids yet." and another, not so sweetly said "Don't be ridiculous, your husband cannot have a vasectomy, you don't even have children." Which totally made me think: When we were actually planning to have children, no one said "Are you sure? Are you really really sure?" Why is that? I mean, really, having children is a pretty big deal, I would even argue that it is considerably a bigger deal than not having children... Yes, yes, there is that whole potential regret thing, realizing when we're old and alone that we have no children,no chance at grandchildren. But nothing like the seriousness of having kids, raising kids, really being a parent. Some people who question our decision not to have kids either they do it in a way that sucks or they just aren't close enough to be questioning my decisions like that- I pretty much want to tell them to mind their own f'ing business. But some people do it right- they do it privately, not putting me on the spot in front of a crowd, they ask questions instead of just judging, they listen.

Wow, I basically suck as a blogger. This is like my 10th post in 10 months? That is pathetic.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, yes,more posts would be good. :P

On the other paw, that's what rss readers are for!

And people really do make some dumb comments, don't they? I fear that I may have made some when a friend of mine told me he wasn't having kids...oh well. You live, you learn.

March 07, 2006 2:21 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

When I was a regular FT employee I used to be a champion multitasker, but now that I am a consultant I find that doing one thing at a time keeps my concentration on track. Since I bill by the hour and have to account for my time on different projects, it forced me to change my ways. Much better.

I'm glad seeing your niece has solidified your position on children. It really isn't anyone's business, but this seems to be an area where everyone (particularly women) have strong opinions they just must share. Its like a religion...if you don't share the same viewpoint they either feel sorry for you or shun you. Only you and your husband can make these decisions, of course you know that.

March 10, 2006 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home