Thursday, May 25, 2006

1 Year Later...

So, it has been almost a year since I started this blog, so I read back through some of my posts and all of my comments (yes, that is right, I read all 7 comments- because I am dedicated!) and decided to give a little update:

1. In my first post I said "I totally get the TTC bloggers, I read them compulsively." Well, not so much anymore. I don't read them much at all. There are 2 I check in on because these girls crack me up and I feel like I know them and want to find out what is going on with them, but if that were not the case, the news of beta's and DTC's wouldn't keep me coming back (I read one TTC and one adoption blog...) I guess I still get them, but there is a TON of support out there in the infertility/TTC/adoption world- certainly my chiming in with 'Yes, I also had a beta of 76 2 weeks after a 5 day transfer' just doesn't amount to a drop in a bucket in infertility world. And I'm not in that world anyway, I'm in Childfree World, so I'm posting my comments there. When I'm not out enjoying my freedom, squandering my money and being a greedy, materialistic, uncaring heathen. My sister, also a IF veteran, told me when we were TTC not to worry, that when you get the baby you forget the pain and struggle of the IF- she said it doesn't go away completely, but it collapses into a much smaller, more manageable little package, one that is easily tucked away and not something that continues to dominate your life. Well, CF did that same thing for me. I didn't completely forget what TTC was like, not anymore than I have forgotten how much high school sucked, but it is so small now that it is a memory, just part of what has happened in my life.

2. At the beginning of the year I posted about my resolution to slow down and stop trying to do 10 things at once. It was touch and go for a while, but it gets easier all the time, and I do find that I do a better job when I'm not doing 10 things at once, and that I feel less stressed and that no worlds have ended if things have to be put off sometimes in order for me to stay sane. (A funny aside: I mentioned my plan to a friend who is a mother of 3- all under the age of 5- and told her what I had read about the benefits, etc. ... She just looked at me and said "That is Bullshit. If I didn't do 10 things at once I would never be able to wash my hair or feed my children." OK, so that made me laugh out loud. Just makes for a happier CF me...) Anyway, I'm happier, less stressed, and am actually finishing more things. I don't even think that I'm starting less things... I have learned to delegate (which is tough when you a lone contract worker...), both at work and at home. Some things I have hired others to do like yard work, and that frees up more than enough time for me to put in the extra hours to pay for it. And I'm enjoying my free time more because I don't feel like there are 10 unfinished projects calling me back home or to work.

3. Our families are generally supportive of our CF decision- I think it is hard for them to argue with us when they can see how happy we are, and I do mean happier than before. Not a lot of grief there for the time being. But we are spending much time over the next month with both sides, so we'll see if I need to retract this...

4. Our new niece is as cute as pie. I like her a lot, and DH likes her, too, but doesn't quite 'get' babies like he 'gets' kids... And we're like 5 months in with not a single trace of regret when we see the little pumpkin, and quite a sigh of relief when we can so easily walk out the door. She is a very good baby, and I enjoy her when I'm with her, but when I look at them I see the YEARS and YEARS ahead of them, something I hadn't really considered when we were planning to have children.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I find it odd that more CF women don't blog, you would think they would, we're the ones with all the free time, right? There are some old friends that I continue to follow regardless of where they are in their lives, but for the most part I don't continue to read once someone is just posting about being a mother. I've got nothing to give those folks, although I don't begrudge them their success. I'm happy where I am and I think that's a huge accomplishment.

June 07, 2006 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home