Tuesday, June 27, 2006

More Random Stuff.

I have long been feeling that I would gladly not brag about all of the wonders of a CF life if only some of the parents I encounter would shut up about what they feel I am missing. And here I mean not only the "you don't know what you're missing, it is the most important and rewarding job on earth" lines, but also the "you just wait, when you have kids you'll lose that waistline forever/you'll really know what exhaustion is/you'll be broke" lines as well. But I've decided the change might as well start with me. I'm going to smile and explain our choice in 1 to 2 short sentences (something like "While we love children, we do not plan to have any.") and then smile. And listen. If they say "Oh, but you don't know what you're missing" I'll answer "You're right, I'm sure parenthood is amazing." If they say "Don't you like children?" I'll say "Yes, I love children." If they say "You'll regret it." I'll say "Perhaps." And smile. Well, maybe I'll say "Perhaps, but it is better than having them and regretting that." Anyway, I'm going to try to just stay on the positive, show the positive instead of talking about it.

Anyway, onward to other things:

I saw a blog recently that listed songs that had made a difference to the blogger (I thought it was Donna, but I couldn't find it just now...) and I thought I would do the same:

1. Feelin' Good performed by Nina Simone: This song makes my day, every day. I play in while I make my coffee and I try to meditate on the message- the promise of a new day, a celebration of freedom, the joy that can be found in the things around us... (BTW, when searching for the lyrics link, I found that the Pussycat Dolls have recorded this as well. Ugh. Nothing against them, I just wish they would stick with their usual stuff and leave songs this beautiful alone.)
2. Boats to Build by Guy Clark: This is the song that inspired me to start this blog and to really embrace life without children, it became my anthem for getting on with life. "Days, precious days, roll in and out like waves. I got boards to bend, I got planks to nail, I got charts to make, I got seas to sail." Like that great line from The Shawshank Redemption- "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." (Again, this song has also been recorded by others, including Jimmy Buffet, whom I normally like as long as I'm halfway into a pitcher of margaritas or laying in a hammock at the lake, but to me his version of this song doesn't have the resonance of the Guy Clark's original recording.)

OK, that is it for now, because I really need to get back to work, but will try to continue the list in future posts. BTW, I did order I Will Bear This Scar and will post my thoughts on it when it comes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I think I've said this before, but I must really be showing my age lately, because I'm just not getting the baby question any more. D does look a little older than me...anyway, I'm glad I don't have to constantly justify my life! May I again gently suggest that you are hanging out with the wrong crowd(s) if you are still getting asked this all the time.

Music is my therapy, my muse and my thoughts. It has such a power over me, it's almost scary.

June 29, 2006 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home